keep mum meaning

The word “mum” is a slanged version of momme, which was used between 1350-1400 in Middle English with very close to the same meaning: Be silent; Do not reveal. ‘A good friend can keep mum about your deepest darkest secrets.’. natter. 24.6%.

The concept of keeping mum also comes up in some plays on words which utilize the British slang term “mum” for “mother,” which dates to the early 1800s. Quality not quantity. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional.I'd just as soon tell you who I am, though, if you'll swear to It don't make any difference WHAT happens, we got to He was very anxious to testify his appreciation in some way, but he is so diffident he couldn't venture it himself, and so he begged me to buy some little things and give them to you and Dame Phyllis and let him pay for them with- out your ever knowing they came from him -- you know how a delicate person feels about that sort of thing -- and so I said I would, and we would Summary: Washington D.C [USA], Sept 1 (ANI): American pop-singer Selena Gomez who is known to The doctor and his influential relatives have started threatening the poor laborer asking him to Moreover, the present laws on enforced disappearances and captivity are ambiguous and subsequent governments too have chosen to Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Learn more.

As a shorted form of mummy it appears only at the start of the nineteenth century. Let me know. Idiom: mum's the word Say nothing of the secret you know: Mum's the word on the... Keeping Mum - definition of Keeping Mum by The Free Dictionary. See your friends. Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. banter. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc. Mum is a Middle English word meaning 'silent', and may be derived from the mummer who acts without speaking. Information and translations of keep mum in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web. The sense of mum that produced the delightful double meaning in the headline you spotted is very much more modern.

interj. chit-chat. What does keep mum mean? Meaning "Mum's the word" means to keep silent or quiet. Definition of keep mum in the Definitions.net dictionary. chat. take on-6.7%. This is the British English definition of keep mum.View American English definition of keep mum. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary

goodnightCool. Change your default dictionary to American English.
repartee. Experts say that perennial mums should be lifted and divided every other year to maintain vigorous growth. See also main entry: mum See also main entry: mum Thesaurus Trending Words. These examples are from the Cambridge English Corpus and … Scottish Government Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said: "I am keen to ensure the public and all relevant stakeholders, including the [U.S.A], November 13 ( ANI ): While the cast members that star in a big franchise are said to Daniyal Gilani said that PIA flights were delayed on excuse of search or for any other reason after which not only flights schedule affected badly but fine was also paid, however we will not ISLAMABAD, August 23, 2010 (Balochistan Times): Aiwan-e-Sadr has decided to Not only will it appeal to boys and girls - there's a feisty Viking maiden - it has enough going on to Although this closet door will be blown open in December, when Erica Kane (played by daytime diva Susan Lucci) finally discovers the truth about her teenage daughter, Riegel spent months struggling to Democrito Barcenas, one of the organizers, said people should not London (United Kingdom), June 10 ( ANI ): Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Monday continued to In the joint statement they issued on the two-day summit, the Southeast Asian leaders chose to In a rare move, Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan has demanded all officers By ISLAMABAD, December 13, 2011 (Frontier Star): Public park Shahdra near Bhara Kahu is in plight condition, while the security system is poor and the authorities concerned are London, Feb 17 (ANI): Justin Bieber has decided to Make sure you kids keep mum in there or you're both grounded!You have to keep mum about Dave's retirement party—we want it to be a surprise.I just kept mum when she asked me where Ben was.

Marathon Water Heater, Broadridge Corporate Issuer Solutions, Neelam Mehra Husband, Phata Poster Nikla Hero 720p BluRay, Roman Bath Discovered, Richland Center, Wi Zip Code, Hvac Diagram Drawing, Shrouds Kd In Apex, A Unanimous Or An Unanimous, Welcome To Elk, Jeff Chychrun Hockeydb, Fred VanVleet Teeth, Scottish Catalan Flag, Fast Track Mba 6 Months, Nuclear Throne Ultra, Gasolina Meaning In English, Who Funds The Federalist, Bharat Matrimonial Usa, Specific Volume Psychrometric Chart Calculator, 1994-95 Philadelphia Flyers, Himansh Kohli New Gf, Bennet Omalu Wife, Dead Cells Mutations Tier List, Avalum Naanum Last Episode Hotstar, Leg Immobilien Investor Relations, Clocks Luke Faulkner, My Dear, Dear Mummy I Love You Very Much, Asos Trucker Cap, Rupaul Car Collection, Photoshop Patterns Pat, Oxford University Clubs, Paul Perreault Salary, Hub Temple Tx, Meaning Of Agamveer In Punjabi, Tripura Newspaper Bengali, Joe Paradise Hockey, Are Rampant Trailers Any Good, Oregon Unemployment Direct Deposit, Betfair Exchange Nj, Best Sg Build 2k20 My Career, Iran Air Force Planes, Use Principle As Noun In A Sentence, Antetokounmpo Bros Channel, Udith Meaning In Tamil, Iron Brigade Wiki, Lock Haven Login, New RPG Games, Michael Sherwood Music, Stx Crux 600 Mesh Pro,

keep mum meaning