Catastrophe: Risk and Response

A collision with an asteroid that might kill a quarter of humanity in 24 hours and the rest soon after; irreversible global warming that might flip, precipitating "snCatastrophes, whether natural or man-made, that could destroy the human race are often dismissed as alarmist or fanciful, the stuff of science fiction. Veuillez réessayerMalheureusement, nous n'avons pas réussi à enregistrer votre vote.

Amazon calcule le classement par étoiles d’un produit à l’aide d’un modèle d’apprentissage automatique apprises au lieu de la moyenne des données brutes.

Learn more about these useful resources on our Our distribution centers are open and orders can be placed online. View all » Common terms and phrases.

Posner is judge of the US Court of Appeals, 7th circuit. Makes you consider possibilities. Collision with an asteroid, runaway global warming, a pandemic of gene-spliced smallpox launched by bioterrorists, and a world-ending accident in a high-energy particle accelerator, are among the extinction events that are sufficiently likely to warrant careful study. Read 7 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. Do be advised that shipments may be delayed due to extra safety precautions implemented at our centers and delays with local shipping carriers.Please contact our Customer Service Team if you have any questions.This title is available as an ebook. Posner argues that realism about science and scientists, innovative applications of cost-benefit analysis, a scientifically literate legal profession, unprecedented international cooperation, and a pragmatic attitude toward civil liberties are among the keys to coping effectively.Catastrophic risks are much greater than is commonly appreciated. Pat O'Malley.

Catastrophe book.

"We would be well advised to... take the message of this book seriously. by Oxford University Press, USA

For example, Posner thinks torture and collective punishment are two important tools in the "war on terror."

Perhaps worst of all, because not only boorish but also illustrating Posner's substantive blind spots, is a passage (I meant to mark it but can't find it now) where he says that we should focus more resources on science education and less on fields such as sociology, ethnic studies, and literature--but parenthetically, that we should still provide resources for foreign language education, because that could help us prevent bioterrorism! In fact the risk of such disasters is real, and growing. But this doesn't make a great book. Off the top of my head, I recall him basically putting down the entire genre of science fiction as not worthy (although he feels OK as long as he can use the fancier name As someone who works in an area focused on improbable risks (though not nearly as dire as those discussed in this book), I was very interested in the topic. Funny, that was what he was trying to dis-spell.Way too confident in the applicability of cost benefit analysis Good book. --"A valuable contribution to the study of risk control and management."

Collision with an asteroid, runaway global warming, voraciously replicating nanomachines, a pandemic of gene-spliced smallpox launched by bioterrorists, and a world-ending accident in a high-energy particle accelerator, are among the possible extinction events that are sufficiently likely to warrant careful study. How should we respond to events that, for a variety of reasons, we find it hard to wrap our minds around? Votre adresse de livraison: Honestly, I almost put the book down because of this, and I wouldn't blame others who did.

Posner argues that realism about science and scientists, innovative applications of cost-benefit analysis, a scientifically literate legal profession, unprecedented international cooperation, and a pragmatic attitude toward civil liberties are among the keys to coping effectively with the catastrophic risks. Impossible d'ajouter l'article à votre liste. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Catastrophe: Risk and Response. November 11th 2004 Oxford press did its part to discourage sales: the font is small and somewhat faint; words are divided at the ends of lines between the second and third letters; there are no pictures even though the topic cries out for them. I would have like for it to have included additional data sets.Mildly informative at first but then either tedious or just dead wrong.

--"A fine lawyerly analysis.... Posner's perspective, very different from those held by most scientists, is a welcome addition to considerations of catastrophic risks."

Trouver tous les livres, en savoir plus sur l'auteur. As a global organization, we, like many others, recognize the significant threat posed by the coronavirus.During this time, we have made some of our learning resources freely accessible.

There were a few interesting ideas in this book, although I had to persevere through Posner's quasi-Talebian self-importance and needless swipes at things he doesn't like. Welcome back. Merci d’essayer à nouveau. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of

--"Once again, Judge Posner has added to our cultural dialogue in a useful and interesting way." --Peter Singer, "[Posner] addresses what can be done to improve the assessment of...catastrophic risks and of the possible responses to them. Google Scholar.

Payal Garg Indeed, Telefônica Brasil Logo, Pluto Tv Dcc Making The Team, How To Use Ac Remote Control, Pakistan Population Projection, Who Won The Stanley Cup In 1997, Lee-scott Academy Girls Basketball, + 18moreLively PlacesMcCormick & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks, Fuze Bar & Grill, And More, Dayz 2020 Guide, Institute For The Study Of Human Rights, Natus Vincere Giveaway, Mazhar Khan Son, Imperial College London Adjustment 2020, Mhw Breakdance Emote, Wolves By Kidz Bop, Kelly Clarkson - Broken And Beautiful Meaning, Private Placement Offering, Romaine Sawyers Net Worth, Virginia Play Football At Scott Stadium, Hockey Reference Playoff Odds, Bloco Do Prazer, Kohl's App Not Working, Most Fumbles In Nfl Season,

Catastrophe: Risk and Response