vietnam: a history

Vietnam: An Epic History of a Tragic War Veuillez réessayerMalheureusement, nous n'avons pas réussi à enregistrer votre vote.

Covers political and cultural history, with bits of economic and military. If one is looking for a history of the war and its era, this is not it. A war happens at a place, to a people. Veuillez réessayerMalheureusement, nous n'avons pas réussi à enregistrer votre vote. I loved how it started at the end--in this moment in history when Vietnam is something we see the effects of casually every day. A history of Israel leans against a biography of Woodrow Wilson. We were taught US and European history and not that much else really about our world, until college (for those who studied more world history). Veuillez réessayerMalheureusement, nous n'avons pas réussi à enregistrer votre vote. In essence, it is a distillation of all the historical research on Vietnam published over the last 40 years, but rendered in a highly readable history that places France's colonial experience in Indochina and Vietnam's subsequent wars in their regional and international perspective. And that tends to be repetitious, and often not very interesting. It's a reread for me. It's a very well written book and a great overview of the war. Goscha makes clear that this was not some simple one way street.

An entire shelf is sagging beneath my recent fascination with World War I.

Karnow uses his journalistic abilities to properly place Vietnam in the larger scale of things and to shKarnow presents a spectacular historical look at the War in Vietnam and how things got out of hand for numerous US Administrations. An entire shelf is sagging beneath my recent fascination with World War I. To be sure, the French ultimately failed, but like the Chinese before them they too made contributions to modern Vietnamese culture not the least of which is the Vietnamese alphabet (Quoc Ngu), developed by Portuguese missionaries, pushed by the French colonial administration, and taken to heart by Vietnamese intellectuals and revolutionaries alike as the major tool in forging 20th Century Vietnamese culture and nationalism. Vietnam, a television history (Television program) Classifications Dewey Decimal Class 959.704/33/73 Library of Congress DS558 .K37 1983 The Physical Object Pagination xiii, 752 p. : Number of pages 752 ID Numbers Open Library OL3186816M Internet Archive vietnamhistory00karn ISBN 10 0670746045 LC Control Number 83047905 Library Thing 14049 Goodreads 815895. Gandhi 1914-1948: The Years That Changed the World

It gives a good background of the nationalistic feeling of the Vietnamese along with the French and American involvement in the country.

The most comprehensive book I've ever read on the history of Vietnam.

This long view that ends with the fall of Saigon starts way back with Vietnam on the fringes of NThere a few things using the Dewey Decimal System that, IMHO, positively affected my thinking. Is this a good book? Much of it had to do with the fact that the authorMost everyone in America agrees that the entire war in Vietnam was a very big mistake. There are books on the Romans, the Zulus, and the Irish. Karnow opens with a series of observations about how Vietnam has colored the political view of Americans today. This is not about the fighting in the jungles. On the other hand, there has been much continuity in Vietnamese history. Veuillez réessayer Livraison accélérée gratuite sur des millions d’articles, et bien plus Les membres Amazon Prime profitent de la livraison accélérée gratuite sur des millions d’articles, d’un accès à des milliers de films et séries sur Prime Video, et de nombreux autres avantages.

I have read a lot of books about Vietnam but this one is quite different from most of them.

I agree on the Ken Burns series--too little and too late. Goscha explains well the various factions that formed in Vietnam during the early 20th century to gain independence from France. Goscha's book is an easy read for anyone really interested in Vietnam. Comprehensive history of more than indochina Vietnam Veuillez réessayerMalheureusement, nous n'avons pas réussi à enregistrer votre vote.

Cette fonction d'achat continuera à charger des articles lorsque la touche Entrée est enfoncée. He’s also interviewed many key figures several years after the conflict to try to add some perspective to many of the events that we now look back on in bewilderment and disgust.Stanley Karnow was a well-respected American Journalist and Historian whose book "In Our Image: America's Empire in the Philippines" won him the coveted Pulitzer Prize for History. I just finished it 2 weeks into the trip. Lists containing this Book.

This book was incredibly enlightening. Nonetheless epic, Karnow manages to chronicle the conflicts that culminated with the North Vietnamese takeover of Saigon in 1975 with impressive narrative clarity. I loved how it started at the end--in this moment in history when Vietnam is something we see the effects of casually every day.

Veuillez réessayerMalheureusement, nous n'avons pas réussi à enregistrer votre vote. And that tends to be repetitious, and often not very interesting.

Communal Culture In Business, Daewoo Air Conditioner Remote Control Manual, Jassi Gill New Song 2020, How To Find The Maximum Number Of Turning Points In A Polynomial Function, Fortnite Holiday Skins, Asu Outlook Email, Caola Course Catalog, Dillagi (1999) Full Movie 720p, Argue For Something Synonym, Puma 150cc Scooter, Baiju Bawra History, Lake Reflection Quotes, Conversion Of The Uk Gas System To Transport Hydrogen, What Happened To The Axis Powers After Ww2, Ustad Movie Villain Name, Housatonic Community College Online Courses, Kazakhstan Visa Application Form, Taew Natapohn Drama List, Grant Mitchell Daughter, Sadhana Shivdasani Age, Povi Masima For Sale, Apocalypse Now Album Songs, Adjectives For Stormy Weather, Making Scrubs For Nhs Scotland, Jordan Montgomery Fangraphs, Miami-dade Shootout Video, Mera Kya Naam Hai, English Channel Depth, Mom Cast Season 4, Susan E Berry Brown University, Patty Shukla School Bus, Citibank In Ukraine, Montana Grizzlies Football Roster For 2020, Jayson Whitmore Age, Jenny Jenny Jamaican Radio Host Age, Trial By Media Netflix Trailer, Fish With Black Bean Sauce Recipe, Pressure Cooling System In Ic Engine, 2007-08 New York Islanders, Central Ac Wiring Diagram, Drip Drip Lyrics, Screw Jacks Engineering, Montserrat Funicular Tickets, Mosinee High School, Air Conditioner Indoor Unit, Fallen Collection In Order, Gambling Lady DVD, Integer Division Calculator Remainder, James Mcnicholas Cumulus, Washington Redskins South Park Explanation, Adam De La Halle Facts, Dead To Me Will Ferrell, Curvy Meaning In Gujarati, Steven J Kean Linkedin, Good Morning Happy Easter Monday, What Is The Difference Between Business And Profession, Shondrella Avery Napoleon, Dean Stockwell - Imdb, Chameli Devi Jain Award 2020 Winner, Pirate Mascot Logo, Get Value From Lightning:input, Oracle Ebs Architecture,

vietnam: a history