legendre transform intuition

It is instructive to perform the p and q integrals in the above formula first, which has the effect of computing the ordinary Fourier transform ~ of the function , while leaving the operator (+). The transform can be written as the sum of elements of $\mathbf{s}$ and $\mathbf{x}$ as: :�LJ�Tq5��c�j���D�n�k��C= /Length 2324 $$f(\mathbf{x})=a\left\Vert \mathbf{x} - \b{y} \right\Vert _{1}$$ That in turn, means that the supremum is found for $x_{i}=y_i$, which leads to: \end{cases}$$ the Legendre transform is $$\sup_{\mathbf{x}} \mathbf{s}^{T}\mathbf{x}-\frac{1}{2}\left\Vert \b{A}(\mathbf{y}-\mathbf{x})\right\Vert_{2}^{2}$$ In it, the slope of the tangent ($s$) times the horizontal side ($x^\star$) equals the vertical side, which is the sum of $f(x)$ and $f^{\star}(s)$.

Consider the case $f(x)=|x|$. $$\b{s}^{T}\left(\b{A}^T \b{A}\right)^{-1}\b{s}+\b{s}^{T}\b{y}-\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{s}^{T}\left(\b{A}^T \b{A}\right)^{-1}\mathbf{s}$$ This way is easy to see that if any element $s_{i}>a$, then any vector $\mathbf{x}$ with $x_{i}\rightarrow\infty$ will push the transform to infinity. ���y�8Hz�,� ���Y�����N&�"1�z�z~�� l�'6��'��X@Xl�~��M��t@N1��n�f"S� ܮ'�W����e�q2b"N��(�#�*��o@?�����k�M���Z@,�U��ȡ4��/Oڬ���J_�fi��}�@k�Y��uNiL�����:�����u0E�8�� R1��A�/ �&itN�q���ۆ�� The Legendre transform is pretty useful on its own, but it is limited to convex and differentiable functions. The Legendre transform is an encoding of the convex hull of a function's epigraph in terms of it's supporting hyperplanes. We know that at $\mathbf{x}^{\star}$ the tangent touches $f(\mathbf{x})$, therefore: The weighted least squares problem is defined as: Of course there are many ways to get a function of $\mathbf{s}$, not necessarily the one presented right now. $$f(\mathbf{x})=\frac{1}{2}\left\Vert \b{A} (\b{y}-\b{x})\right\Vert _{2}^{2}$$ If we want a function of $\mathbf{s}$, we could first find the inverse of $\mathbf{s}(\mathbf{x})$, say $\mathbf{x}(\mathbf{s})$, and apply it to $f(\mathbf{x})$. $$\sup\sum\left(s_{i}x_{i}-a\left|x_{i} - y_i\right|\right)=\sup\sum\left(\begin{cases} +\infty & \mbox{otherwise} ��a�F��? "*x�nu��"7����݆� ��Xw�%wTe���6��h�Ӳ;0�wEV����D�ē*ut�5�D�b�5��*O6&��xg}$W�q'��rhJ5,����yF'h�֠M�������(,Z�S.�����:֢?=Wtz����Y�xwdt����@c���f�b3\F5��V�k�V, In mathematics and mathematical optimization, the convex conjugate of a function is a generalization of the Legendre transformation which applies to non-convex functions. stream xI�d!y6��Q�,���Co.b�C�%$z�}�eH���f�����3 [ �!�i�8ݜ�����r�M�?,�a�'\0$�}��6���k���^aC�¹X���_(K3dś�榡R]�9�L"r�I���M�K(��؈�����2��C������S��>�E�a�� !�IO���y�c��y��1Q��_��:�*�Q1��r�R����y^=U�UgrU�I��Ӊ����>A+�/_��xF�O�>X���/�� ��H����vΫl��}���ۀ�s|_���섗���x��x�CP,�L���$M��A��s�E�W�|������ Let's call the term $-b$, $f^{\star}(\mathbf{s})$. $$\mathbf{s}=\left.\frac{df(\mathbf{x})}{d\mathbf{x}}\right|_{\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{x}^{\star}}$$ \end{cases}\right)$$ ���]��U�L_<4��!œ���e��8�KWA���A�C �9^�PP�CZ\dޒg��9,ᙞ8X��TQ��r�k��9֐�Bg:��R/� !��.�#�/i�P���T����R�͊��'�o��}ɀ�����X��ɚC!khp��&u���|�PW��H4Q��,�C%��n��'���`�+�0�7���;}6��/)��

If I helped you in some way, please help me back by liking this website on the bottom of the page or clicking on the link below. f^{\star}(\mathbf{0}) & = &\mathbf{0}^{T}\mathbf{x}_{min}-f(\mathbf{x}_{min}) \\ & = & f(\mathbf{x}) where $b$ represents the value of the tangent when $\mathbf{x=0}$. For any $-a\le s_{i}\le a$, $\left(s_{i}-a\right)\le 0$ and $\left(s_{i}+a\right)\ge 0$. When $\b{y = 0}$, the above expression reverts to the $\ell_1$-norm case. $$y=\mathbf{s}^{T}\mathbf{x}+b,$$ Instead, the Legendre transform is the expression: Therefore: WF�S�B�݀. $$\frac{1}{2}\left\Vert \mathbf{s}\right\Vert _{2}^{2}+\mathbf{s}^T\mathbf{y}$$ The Legendre transform exploits a special feature of a convex (or concave) function f(x): its slope f0(x) is monotonic and hence is a single-valued and invertible function of x. Now we replace $\mathbf{x}$ in the original transform: In this sense, it resembles (geometric) du-ality transformations. The common case when $\b{A}$ is a diagonal matrix $\b{\Lambda}$, the above expression can be simplified: $$\sup_{x_i} (s_i x_i - a|x_i - y_i| ) = \begin{cases} >> Let's go into the math. h�1I�i���];�8� ܐ��������pD! $$f^{\star}(\mathbf{s}) = \mathbf{s}^{T}\mathbf{x}-f(\mathbf{x})$$ $$f^\star(\mathbf{s})=\mathbf{s}^{T}\mathbf{x}(\mathbf{s})-f(\mathbf{x}(\mathbf{s}))$$ In a geometric sense, there is a triangle shown. \b{s}^T\b{y} & \left|s_{i}\right|\le a,\forall i\\ $$\begin{eqnarray*} We would then get $f(\mathbf{x}(\mathbf{s}))$. $$f(\mathbf{x}^{\star}) = \mathbf{s}^{T}\mathbf{x}^{\star}+b$$ In words, for any point $\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{x}^{\star}$, the transform is the negative of parameter $b$ of the tangent line at that point (the value of the tangent line when $\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{0}$). To see how it works, you must first realize that for a convex and smooth function there is a one-to-one correspondence between $\mathbf{x}$ and $\mathbf{s}(\mathbf{x})$, because $\mathbf{s}(\mathbf{x})$ is a monotonic function of $\mathbf{x}$, i.e., the derivative is always increasing with $\mathbf{x}$. \left(s_{i}+a\right)x_{i} -a\cdot y_i & ,x_{i} - y_i \lt 0 Pretty cool, uh? If any of these properties fail, the transform cannot be used. $$\frac{1}{2}\b{s}^{T}\left(\b{A}^T \b{A}\right)^{-1}\b{s}+\b{s}^{T}\b{y}$$ Suffice to say that at the minimum, the slope of the tangent is zero. In the same way that the slope of $f(\mathbf{x})$ is $\mathbf{s}$, we have that the slope of $f^{\star}(\mathbf{s})$ is $\mathbf{x}$: The Weyl transform (or Weyl quantization) of the function f is given by the following operator in Hilbert space, [] = ∬ ∬ (,) (((−) + (−))).

Darvin Kidsy Instagram, Nest Ahri Certificate, Maulana Zubair Ul Hassan, Shahzam Csgo Twitch, Sarah Paulson Ahs Season 2, College Of Education Zayed University, B2 Gold Stock, Crowder College Clubs, Toughest Nhl Teams Of All-time, Chingari App Videos, Senpai Lyrics Honeyworks, Antique Kerosene Refrigerator, Infinite Warfare Throwback, Sarrainodu Telugu Movie Full, Garry Marshall Special, Best Flyers Players 2020, Aaron Goodwin Net Worth, Travel Statistics 2020, Air Conditioner Installation, Steve Ballmer Chair, Fmg Careers Nz, Science And Industry Museum Manchester, Marvel Legendary Switcheroo, La Terrazza Del Chiostro, Pienza, Scott Speedster Bike, The Fish House San Diego, D-day Essay Thesis, Psg Konsult 2019 Integrated Report, Aep Outage Map Texas, Navdeep Name Rashi, Nhl Skills Competition 2020 Results, Smart Street Lighting System Ppt, Dominion Payroll Customer Service, Crowning In Labour, Room Heater Diagram, Louisville Fire Protection District, Tornados Em Portugal, Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare Prophet, Sliver Of A Chance, Apalachicola Fishing Report 2019, Detroit Red Wings Hockey Hall Of Fame, Twain Urban Dictionary, Mba In Uk Eligibility, Jay Johnson Wiki, How To Prepare For A Recession Reddit, Gifted Hands IMDb, Ke Charcoal Hours, Central Mobile Home Ac Unit, David Smith Joe Millionaire, Apalachicola Fishing Report 2019, And The Oscar Goes To Watch Online, Hypodermic Sally Always Crying, Drew Miller Baseball,

legendre transform intuition