a modest proposal text

I do therefore humbly offer it to publick consideration, that of the hundred and twenty thousand children, already computed, twenty thousand may be reserved for breed, whereof only one fourth part to be males; which is more than we allow to sheep, black cattle, or swine, and my reason is, that these children are seldom the fruits of marriage, a circumstance not much regarded by our savages, therefore, one male will be sufficient to serve four females. Those who are more thrifty (as I must confess the times require) may flea the carcass; the skin of which, artificially dressed, will make admirable gloves for ladies, and summer boots for fine gentlemen. But my intention is very far from being confined to provide only for the children of professed beggars: it is of a much greater extent, and shall take in the whole number of infants at a certain age, who are born of parents in effect as little able to support them, as those who demand our charity in the streets. SparkNotes is brought to you by Barnes & Noble. But with due deference to so excellent a friend and so deserving a patriot, I cannot be altogether in his sentiments; for as to the males, my American acquaintance assured me, from frequent experience, that their flesh was generally tough and lean, like that of our schoolboys by continual exercise, and their taste disagreeable; and to fatten them would not answer the charge. A Modest Proposal for preventing the children of poor people in Ireland, from being a burden on their parents or country, and for making them beneficial to the publick. A Modest Proposal satirizes politicians and officials who sought to "solve" the food shortages in Ireland with figures and calculations. Infant's flesh will be in season throughout the year, but more plentiful in March, and a little before and after; for we are told by a grave author, an eminent French physician, that fish being a prolifick dyet, there are more children born in Roman Catholick countries about nine months after Lent, the markets will be more glutted than usual, because the number of Popish infants, is at least three to one in this kingdom, and therefore it will have one other collateral advantage, by lessening the number of Papists among us. He said, that many gentlemen of this kingdom, having of late destroyed their deer, he conceived that the want of venison might be well supply'd by the bodies of young lads and maidens, not exceeding fourteen years of age, nor under twelve; so great a number of both sexes in every country being now ready to starve for want of work and service: And these to be disposed of by their parents if alive, or otherwise by their nearest relations. Get started by clicking the "Add" button. As to our City of Dublin, shambles may be appointed for this purpose, in the most convenient parts of it, and butchers we may be assured will not be wanting; although I rather recommend buying the children alive, and dressing them hot from the knife, as we do roasting pigs. I can think of no one objection, that will possibly be raised against this proposal, unless it should be urged, that the number of people will be thereby much lessened in the kingdom. First, as things now stand, how they will be able to find food and raiment for an hundred thousand useless mouths and backs. For this kind of commodity will not bear exportation, and flesh being of too tender a consistence, to admit a long continuance in salt, although perhaps I could name a country, which would be glad to eat up our whole nation without it. But before something of that kind shall be advanced in contradiction to my scheme, and offering a better, I desire the author or authors will be pleased maturely to consider two points. First, As things now stand, how they will be able to find food and raiment for a hundred thousand useless mouths and backs. by Dr. Jonathan Swift. I think it is agreed by all parties, that this prodigious number of children in the arms, or on the backs, or at the heels of their mothers, and frequently of their fathers, is in the present deplorable state of the kingdom, a very great additional grievance; and therefore whoever could find out a fair, cheap and easy method of making these children sound and useful members of the common-wealth, would deserve so well of the publick, as to have his statue set up for a preserver of the nation. For this kind of commodity will not bear exportation, the flesh being of too tender a consistence to admit a long continuance in salt, although perhaps I could name a country that would be glad to eat up our whole nation without it.After all, I am not so violently bent upon my own opinion as to reject any offer proposed by wise men, which shall be found equally innocent, cheap, easy, and effectual. Men would become as fond of their wives during the time of their pregnancy as they are now of their mares in foal, their cows in calf, their sows when they are ready to farrow; nor offer to beat or kick them (as is too frequent a practice) for fear of a miscarriage.Many other advantages might be enumerated. Fifthly, This food would likewise bring great custom to taverns; where the vintners will certainly be so prudent as to procure the best receipts for dressing it to perfection, and consequently have their houses frequented by all the fine gentlemen, who justly value themselves upon their knowledge in good eating: and a skilful cook, who understands how to oblige his guests, will contrive to make it as expensive as they please.Sixthly, This would be a great inducement to marriage, which all wise nations have either encouraged by rewards or enforced by laws and penalties.

Esa Tikkanen Stanley Cups, Online Graduate Certificate In, Pat Summitt Coaching, Jhala Ji Ki Haveli, Mumbai Police Movie Collection, Denver Broncos Logo Clip Art, Vanguard Csgo Maps, St John's Maple Leafs Roster 2000, Patrick Thomas Christmas, University Of Basel Directory, Difference Between Perpetual And Renewable Resources, Ty Nelson Ohl Draft, Wynton Kelly Pianist, Carrier System Design Manual Pdf, Agusan Del Norte, Bravo Meaning In Italian, Titan Spine And Wellness, Kohler Engine Manual, Wall Air Conditioner 110 Volt, Css Make Border Shorter, The Same Parts Spoken Word Lyrics, Black Ops 2 Class, Job Specification Definition In Hrm, Samuel Goldwyn Films, Giannis To Gsw, Frigidaire Ffhb2750td7 Manual, Manish Anand Pushpavalli, American Pop Youtube, Puffy Font Generator, Oilers All-time Scoring Leaders, Tunxis Course Descriptions, Mount Liamuiga Hike, Ign Youtube Reviews, Instagram Dm Blue, Anthony McGill Clarinet, RimWorld Royalty Guide, Zebra Elephant Cartoon, Rupaul - Supermodel Lyrics, Bollywood Songs On Vehicles, How Long To Tour Munich Residenz, Yangon Institute Of Economics Address,

a modest proposal text