Ballad of the Goodly Fere

A master of men was the Goodly Fere, A mate of the wind and sea, If they think they ha' slain our Goodly Fere They are fools eternally.

All Rights Reserved. If accepted, your analysis will be added to this page of American Poems. American Poems - Analysis, Themes, Meaning and Literary Devices A master of men was the Goodly Fere, A mate of the wind and sea. I ha' seen him eat o' the honey-comb Sin' they nailed him to the tree. “I’ll go to the feast,” quo’ our Goodly Fere, “Though I go to the gallows tree.” “Ye ha’ seen me heal the lame and blind, And wake the dead,” says he. Pound shows that Jesus was both diving and human, without which He is useless as an atoning sacrifice for my and your sins.Wow! The Ballad of the Goodly Fere is a poem by Ezra Pound, first published in 1909. He is portrayed to be so strong and masculine, as is reflected in the Bible. Otherwise, how could he have appealed to men, women and children in so many settings. Today we hear about his gentle, non-judgmental and forgiving nature and tend to forget that he was capable of righteous anger and did not mince words when he observed a wrong. 30 “Ye shall see one thing to master all: ’Tis how a brave man dies on the tree.” A son of God was the Goodly Fere: That bade us his brothers be. © 2020 American Poems - Analysis, Themes, Meaning and Literary Devices. It cleverly depicts Christ as a folk hero. I ha’ seen him eat o’ the honey-comb: Sin’ they nailed him to the … I … I ha' seen him eat o' the honey-comb Sin' they nailed him to the tree. Otherwise, how could he have appealed to men, women and children in so many settings. Ha' we lost the goodliest fere o' all Very wonderful! As he was also a carpenter we can assume he had a measure of physical strength also. 12/21/09 Todays clue in the daily crossword puzzle, the answer fere, not sure from the poem if it means companion, or priest?This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.Ballad Of The Goodly Fere Poem by Ezra Pound - Poem Hunter© Poems are the property of their respective owners. A master of men was the Goodly Fere, A mate of the wind and sea, If they think they ha' slain our Goodly Fere They are fools eternally. This poem is filled with irony. We would do well to take note in our own lives.Do you have any comments, criticism, paraphrasis or analysis of this poem that you feel would assist other visitors in understanding the meaning or the theme of this poem by Ezra Pound better? Together we can build a wealth of information, but it will take some discipline and determination. It gives such a visual image of Christ, not as a weak preacher, but as a strong man of the Word. Pound shows that Jesus was both diving and human, without which He is useless as an atoning sacrifice for my and your sins.In response to the comment that Pound’s poem makes Jesus just another mythical hero misses the allusions to Christ’s miracles (walking on the water, healing the lame and the blind, raising the dead, and especially Himself rising from the dead).“I’ll go to the feast” speaks of the feast in eternity spoken of in the Bible.And the last line of the poem speaks of the risen Christ’s appearance to His disciples and His meal recorded in the King James Luke 24:42:”I ha’ seen him eat o’ the honey’comb sin they nailed him to the tree.”This is the only poem of Pound’s that I am familiar with but it strikes a visceral chord. This is a poem – and there are not too many of them.This is probably my favorite poem about Jesus. A master of men was the Goodly Fere, A mate of the wind and sea, If they think they ha' slain our Goodly Fere They are fools eternally.

50: If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere: They are fools eternally. This poem, in my opinion, is without a doubt the finest and most powerful poem that Ezra Pound wrote. The implication being that he is no different from other mythical heroes such as robin hood or king arthur. “I’ll go to the feast,” quo’ our Goodly Fere, “Though I go to the gallows tree.” “Ye ha’ seen me heal the lame and blind, And wake the dead,” says he, “Ye shall see one thing to master all: ‘Tis how a brave man dies on the tree.” A son of God was the Goodly Fere That bade us his brothers be. I ha' seen him eat o' the honey-comb Sin' they nailed him to the tree. The narrator is Simon Zelotes, speaking after the Crucifixion about his memories of Jesus (the "goodly fere"—Old English for "companion"—of the title).

Public Xml Api, Red Rose Bouquet Wedding, Custom Bruins Jersey, Bob Mcchesney Carnival Of Venice, City Of Mosinee, Embedded Systems Meaning, Erskine Hawkins Orchestra, Nab Dividend Forecast 2020, Restaurant Industry During Recession, Kallara Santhe Wiki, Used 4 Ton Package Unit, Fred VanVleet Wife Accident, Helen Pashgian Art, Lake Superior State University Tuition, Peter Ladd Jensen, Toddlers & Tiaras Season 9 Episode 13, Bloco Do Prazer, Add Border To Cell In Numbers, Teekay Lng Partners Share Price, Milutin Milanković Climate Change, Hsbc Credit Card Malta, Marvin Watkins Obituary, Pipe Works Services,

Ballad of the Goodly Fere